Sunday, July 23, 2006

Time For Change With The Changing Times

I moved to Zephyrhills at age thirteen,in 1955.In order to help feed my family, during the first few weeks,I pulled moss out of a 60 foot tall oak tree for 25 cents an hour,for an area new car dealer.The minimum wage was a dollar an hour then.I worked for similar wages for many other people in Zephyrhills.Most were retired.Most had lived through the depression and believed they were poor,no matter how much they had.Many were retired from good jobs and had excellent retirement, along with social security,yet they saw themselves as poor.I was not alone. Anyone else who worked by the hour,worked for nothing in Zephyrhills.Fees,taxes,utilities and wages have been artificially low in Zephyrhills,most of my life.In order to be elected,or hold any position of power one had to hold the line and continue the cheap haven for retirees in Zephyrhills.In recent years the demographics have changed drasticly,yet elected officials still tremble in fear when hearing the calls to continue "on the cheap".I am retired on social security alone.There is no young working family I want to cheat out of a just wage;not the city manager,not the cops,not the librarians,nor the guys on the garbage trucks.It wasn't right when I was a boy and it isn't right now.I particularly disagree with holding down the salary of those in midlevel management,because you think they'll stay anyway,because of their time invested,and that they're a little better off than they were.This has long been the situation in the police department.It may work,but it is patently unfair.This"government on the cheap and pass the cost on down to the grandkids"is a sickness. It is not necessary,and should not be the product of americans of good will. NPUBLICI Delbert W Allegood

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home