Tuesday, July 25, 2006

You Got Elected; Do The Job.

For those who don't know,Zephyrhills has a political system which provides for 6 city council positions,whose members represent the entire city.There are no districts.Council seats are elected on alternate years,so as to have continuity.One of those positions is filled by a mayor who has no vote,but does have veto power on some council actions.Zephyrhills is a small city;much smaller than most cities having district representatives.When these councilmen were running for office,they were available and accessible.Now that they have been elected,a movement has arisen among them,to have Quasi officials from various areas or districts to represent the people to them.Also mentioned,was a need for watchers of code violations and other dastardly acts.While it is true that the city has not staffed or funded the building department to meet the needs of the rapid growth of the past few years,along with the other departments,this does not demand volunteer or unelected adjuncts.What is clear to me,is that it does require work and courage,on the part of the city council and other government members.Council members need to announce and publish their stance on these matters and schedule themselves to be available to the people,long before any voting is done.This low pay,underfunding and understaffing is not even nearly new.We have been losing good people.Until responsible heads are removed from the sand,it will only worsen.Getting elected is the easy part;you smile and tell everyone what they want to hear.Doing the job could prove to be a little more demanding.Concerning the advocation of unelected watchers,minders,violation reporters or opinion consolidators for various parts districts or areas of town:I suggest that anyone having an interest in such a thing should talk to people who have escaped from countries where this is commonly used.many of our elderly,here, know about Fascist block watchers,communist minders,correct thinkers and helpers to the supreme council. one only has to look to Cuba,red China or Iran to understand the implications of this function.I had two coworkers who escaped from cuba.They had stories of watchers and correct thinkers being found dead.No,Not a good idea.NPUBLICI Delbert W Allegood

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Del,

I am one of those City Council Members you are refering to. I remember meeting you before the election. You provided me this blog address and I gave you my:
1) Personal phone number
2) My personal e-mail address
3) My Cell Phone number
I also remember telling you that you could call me anytime or e-mail me anytime.
By any definition, that is being accessible. If you come to a meeting, we are available before and after each meeting. I lioke your blog and I appreciate your interest in the well-being of this wonderful city. I do ask that you not block us all together and say we are all not accessible. I am accessible 7-days a week. If you have a particular issue with a certain council person, please refer to them by name in your blog.

Anyway, I respect your opinions and hope to meet you again some day.

Good luck and God Bless,

Luis M. Lopez, MA
Councilman, City of Zephyrhills

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home